FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:30 pm
mikesyr18

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by gooselee
.... If those merchants decide they will start taking Amex as a result of the lower interchange fee, I will continue going there but I will start using my Amex instead of Visa. In that instance, Amex has won those transactions away from Visa.
I wonder how long it will take non-AMEX accepting merchants to start accepting the card. I couldn't imagine the current merchants really care, because everyone has a Visa or MasterCard, and they already take those cards to begin with.

Who knows, we might see the 6% Blue Cash turn into a 4% Blue Cash as a result of these fee changes, or perhaps AMEX may raise the annual fee instead because AMEX will pull in less revenue from purchases at merchants that already accept the card.

If AMEX is looking at major changes, they may want to look into their points and cash programs... A one statement lag and a $25 at a time redemption option isn't appealing at all. If it weren't for these limitation, myself, and many others may have a Blue Cash in their wallet.