FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:53 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
It's embarrassing that AMEX has to keep devaluing their brand. The typical AMEX user doesn't care if one merchant doesn't take their card... They'll just go to a competitor that does.
​​​​​
I disagree. Going to a competitor is a hassle if you're ready to purchase. My guess would be that the typical AMEX user (who isn't on FT and obsessed with miles/points) simply pulls out their Visa/MC to complete the transaction and the carries on with their day.

Originally Posted by mia
I don't mean anecdotes, I mean the type of data that American Express would use to make decisions.
This. Amex has the data. We only have anecdotes.

I'm sure some people go to the trouble of seeking out other merchants if their preferred one doesn't take Amex. Anecdotally, I'm not one of those people. If I'm standing in a store or whatever and they don't take Amex, I pull out my Visa. If a merchant charges a processing fee for CCs, I pull out cash or my checkbook. While Amex is always my first choice payment method, checking for Amex acceptance is not something I do when searching for a store/restaurant/whatever.