FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 500 mile upgrades worthless? have 40 never been able to use any
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:16 pm
wetrat0

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by whyturnright
I'm a lowly (lifetime) gold and have been decently impressed with what I've been able to get over the years with the 500 mile stickers. Granted, my home airport is not a hub. I am consistently upgraded on the flights under 500 miles for free, and have had good luck on others. In December I was upgraded to F to LIH on a connection out of LAX when there were 2 seats available and NO customers but me requesting upgrades, I was shocked myself. Last year I connected to LAX and was upgraded to J on the 77W to MIA. Several domestic upgrades in F, usually if I decide to connect in PHX I get best chance of upgrade but worst equipment. At the end of the day it really is a craps shoot. Some years are better than others, some days are better than others, you never really know.
It helps not to be at a hub, and not to travel through DFW (that's a guaranteed way to be like... #42 on the list, although it's one of my favorite airports to transit). I've rarely missed an upgrade on RJ flights < 500 miles and I don't request them on flights between 500 and 750 (these often go out empty in F). I've had some really great F service on Republic and PSA, despite only being drinks and snack basket.