FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:08 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
With this article, I must say there's simply no reason to carry an AMEX anymore unless you're very loyal to Hilton, Delta, or some of their transfer partners.

At the top, they're almost as bad as Citi in the management department. AMEX should not care about acceptance, but should base their business model off of higher interchange fees, promoting the use of higher spenders who have their cards, while providing exceptional benefits other card networks/issuers can't match.

You must not know much about the history of AMEX or what this means for them. Because of AMEX's flop, cardholders no longer can look at them as cards that give "the customer the power," rather than the merchant. Visa and MC have always been more of a customer for the merchant rather than the cardholder, AMEX was the opposite, but not anymore apparently. Lower interchange fees will mean less revenue, despite what AMEX thinks will happen if more merchants start accepting them. What happens when your revenue goes down? You have to cut from somewhere, whether it's customer service, perks, or rewards, or whatever. So instead of coming out with an innovative card system, they'll just stoop down to the V/MC business model instead. AMEX will not be able to compete with V/MC based on card popularity, bank choices, and now what will be the lack of interest for most of their cards from the consumer.

Why would I go out of my way to use an AMEX anymore? The decreased interchange fees will mean they side with the merchant first, cut purchase purchase protections, etc. I'll just dump AMEX and use my Visas and MasterCards.
Must be nice to have access to all the same data, research, and analysis that Amex has internally. I somehow doubt that Amex came to this decision lightly...

Amex can tout its appeal to higher spenders all day long and it won't make a shred of difference if a high roller wants to buy something from a merchant that doesn't accept Amex.