FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Thru-Galley" leaves little food choice and even ice...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:02 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by username
I never realized this practice existed for mainline aircraft until recently when I am taking more short hop flights into a UA hub. It seems the way it works is UA caters a flight that leaves a hub but skips/reduces catering at the non-hub if the next flight is a short flight into a hub. For example, ORD-PHX-SFO - there is no or little catering at PHX.

The first time, even on a 7 AM departure of a plane that had overnighted and sitting in the first row in Y, my snack choice was not available. The 2nd time, Y ran out of ice. I could see most of the ice has melted in the cart. FAs said this is called thru-galley.

Obviously this is done to save money but kind of bad from both a customer service and maybe even health point of view... What is their algorithm for determining when this is done? Thanks.
Ice is available at every airport, so that seems to be an FA oversight or some unusual circumstances.

But United has seemed to have lowered the amount of other stock they are putting in the airplanes overall. Last trip, I was in 1st leaving an outstation, and the liquor selection was comically out of stock. To the point that after my first 3 choices were found to be out, the FA actually pulled the plastic tray out of the trolley and brought to my seat so I could see what was left.

More cuts in a healthy economic environment. Nothing but greed and a focus on short-term stock valuations.