FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Top 10 BAEC members have dinner together. True or False?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:37 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't have any connection with the underlying story here and I think it's unlikely since I routinely turn down social invitations due to travel conflicts - so the other putative 9 should also be in that situation. I have been dined at BA's expense at places like l'Escargot and Waterside Inn with about a dozen other high rollers, more in the past it has to be said: a Newcastle postcode makes one fairly invisible (I am certainly not complaining). So I think that's what happened here, they may be very well travelled GGLers or High Net Worth rather than all being at the top of the non existent league table, having a good meal hosted by some BA bigwig. The first year I hit 15k or 20k TPs I remember talking to my then Special Service contact and asking naively if it was a record - he said something like "yes it's quite high, but there are a few who really pile on an awful lot of TPs", implying I wasn't in this select group. Or keeping me in my place since I don't think it's something that the newly renamed Concorde Team look at, or necessarily have access. But I do remember a MF cabin crew, processing a Buy on Board transaction, dropping my phone in shock when she entered my tier point total as my membership number....

The House of Parliament aspect is correct - that I know to be a venue for BA events, they call in on a favour of a well known parliamentarian who arranges either the Terrace or a dining room. I don't think it's a secret that I regularly visit Parliament, so I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I got that invitation - luckily that was a travel conflict one.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:42 pm