FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using avios for cathay flights
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:36 am
ermen

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Flapster
Hi all

I did a search, but didn't find the direct answer to my question, so apologies, as I'm sure it's been asked numerous times before.

I have recently moved to Hong Kong, and have a substantial balance of Avios, so want to continue using avios as my primary programme for collecting points. However, I am getting different availability for reward flights, and am unsure if I am doing something wrong, or whether this is going to be an issue in the future. I searched for Hong Kong --> Hanoi on ba.com, and it shows no availability for reward flights. I then searched Hong Kong --> Hanoi on Cathay Pacific, and there IS availability for reward flights there.

Are there different availabilities, and is it possible to book using my avios (e.g. by ringing BA directly)?

If there is different availability, and this is going to be a problem ongoing, I suppose I should look into Asia Miles as my primary collection point whilst in Hong Kong?

Thanks
Have you moved your registered address to HKG?
For some weird reason, some HKG accounts cannot see CX availability on certain routes (and this is not the 7-10 day close in black out).
Best to ask your non-HKG friend to check to be sure. Otherwise, yes sometimes CX release more availability for their members.