FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips needed - Hobart & Melbourne in late December
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:00 pm
PsiFighter37

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Tips needed - Hobart & Melbourne in late December

My wife and I will be spending 3 days each in Hobart and Melbourne - wanted to get a sense of what folks would recommend seeing and eating, but I also have some more specific questions. In particular:

-We will be in Hobart on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. My reading seems to imply that Christmas Day will be very quiet but that a good number of things are back open on Boxing Day. Is this the case?
-Does renting a car in Hobart make sense? We are staying at the MONA Pavilions, which from what I read has ferry access to downtown Hobart.
-Where to stay in Melbourne?
-Is there any reason to rent a car in Melbourne, i.e. any sights outside of town nearby worth driving to?
-Is there any difference at all betwen Jetstar, Qantas, and Virgin Australia when flying MEL-HBA? I am *A so I have zero preference between these choices, but having never flown any of them, I was not sure if one is better than the other (or if any are LCCs that will charge me extra for virtually anything)
-Are there any *G lounges to access in MEL?

Thanks!