FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:25 pm
bookeew

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by compspy
I had a killer argument from Citi Prestige Insurance department, they applied it to deny baggage protection, but can also be successfully applied for trip delay protection. They said that terms state "we may reimburse", the word "may" is used to deny my claim for the protection as there is no requirement for them to the actually to do it. For example it does not state that they "will reimburse you".
Maybe its just my luck, but I didn't have same luck with Chase Sapphire Preferred also a lot more cheaper card to have.
For me, there is an easy answer to the may: If it is reasonable, I expect it to be covered. If they deny it because of this interpretation, then that is unreasonable for me and I will not give them the chance to treat me like that again. Instead, I am going to move my spend to another card and move from Citi's private client program to a different bank, which is going to cost them significantly more than the small reimbursement. For now, they get the benefit of the doubt and the chance to fix the interpretation (if they change the language to reflect this absurd definition of a trip, I might be keeping the card for the 4th night benefit, but won't put any other spend on it).

Neither AMEX, Chase, nor Citi have been unreasonable in any benefit case, so I don't see a reason to jump ship just yet.