FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming MR to HKG... int'l noob
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:22 pm
kaka
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by war.eagle.30
Hey FT'ers. Member for a while, but don't post much.

I'm taking a MR to HKG on the 18th. I've never even been out of the country (except Canada and Mex), and I'm just jumping both feet first into Asia! I'm arriving on Delta, so I just have a few questions:

1. I've looked at the airport map - about what gate will I arrive?
2. All the times I've flown domestic, I can just check in online. Can I just do that for my return flight, during the flight to HKG?
3. Can someone explain the arrival procedures to me? From the time I get off the plane until I'm out of the airport? I know I'm going to have to do immigration and customs, but I don't know what to expect.
4. I am staying at the Regal at the airport, but I'd like to slip into town to one of the night markets. I arrive at 2030, so would I have time to check into the hotel and take the MTR into the city?
5. I'm in DL main cabin (not Comfort+) on the A332 in both directions. First flight is pretty full, but the return has several preferred seats open. Any recommendations if I were to buy a preferred seat?

Thank in advance!
1) Whilst i am not a DL expert, I know the ops of the airport a little. I have a feeling DL does operate near the gate 21-24 area, or 15-19 because that's where the lounge is, the office for the ground handling agent, and most importantly, have more space for USA-bound flight checks. or more likely it would be 18 19 21 (IIRC 20 is a narrow body gate nut i'm not sure if it fits something bigger). That said, this is not fixed so is subject to changes.
2) If you have no luggage, i believe its ok. they will check your ID at the gate if you meet a gate agent before then.
3) you will go thru the security area in segregation mode. so juts follow the stream (you may or may not have to take a train) and arrive at the immigration hall. join a queue for visitors (non-HKID holder) and you'll make it to luggage hall in 5-30 minutes. pick up your bag then go thru customs. report accordingly. most people who has nothing to report will be unhassled thru the green gate. if you get checked then just answer accordingly. assuming you didnt lie you shall be fine. then you would be landside.
4) IF you land at 2030 and I would assume you'll be at the regal for checkin at 2130. I would suggest taking the A21 bus to jordan/mong kok area and enjoy the city (as opposed to the train, which you will need to change at least twice to get to the same area.). On the return, take A21 or N21 at somewhere near the oposite direction of nathan road. N21 runs every 30 minutes throughout the night. Or alternatively I would recommend staying in the city so you dont have to deal with night busses.
IF you are taking DL 38/39, where your flight leaves at 1145 from HKG the next day, you only need to take the bus at 0845; or 0900 train and arrive the airport with PLENTY of time. if you take the train, there are shuttle busses connecting to the train station at major hotels in the area.
5) ask the DL guys.