FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:24 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Bonus quiz item: Name the first three destinations in the Pacific Northwest served by Cascade Airways with the BAC One-Eleven when the twin jet was introduced into the CZ fleet in 1984.

Great guesses! However, BOI, GEG and PDX are all incorrect! So please guess again, sir......and should you elect to indulge in an Alaskan Brewing Co. Icy Bay IPA during your flights in F today on AS, please let us know your impression of this microbrew!

First things first - back in late September of 1984, I booked round trip flights from Seattle down to Pasco - specifically to try out Cascade and Horizon's new jet aircraft. Unfortunately, my scheduled BAC-111 flight between Seattle and Pasco was instead operated by a venerable HS-748 - not a bad consolation prize I suppose, but not the jet I was looking for. Though I don't know exactly when CZ commenced 111 flights, this was fairly early on for the airline's 111 service, so let's go with Seattle and Pasco for starters. As for the other city - I've not a clue... How about Yakima?!

Secondly, as requested I did indeed check out the Alaska Brewing Co. Icy Bay IPA. I normally never order beer aboard airplanes because almost uniformly the flight attendants never manage to serve it cold. Still, I dutifully asked for the IPA but ONLY if it were truly cold. The FA assured me that the beer was and had been on ice. Yes perhaps it had with just a small portion of the can laying atop the ice rather than ensconced amidst it. In any event, my beer was delivered luke cold - okay in England perhaps but distressingly tepid by our standards. I took a couple of sips - enough to determine that it was indeed nicely hopped and pleasingly flavorful. Henceforth however, I am more resolute than ever in my determination to avoid ordering any type of beer aloft - unless jlemon happens to be the flight attendant.