FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BOS day flight vs night flight to UK
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:58 am
manord

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Originally Posted by Baracus
I do a lot of East Coast to MAN in Y or W and have usually avoided the day flights because of the lack of connections to MAN. As Blueboys999 has pointed out the problem with this flight is you can easily miss-connect to the LHR-MAN if it is delayed which gets you a second night in a hotel, this time at LHR.
Yes, that risk of a night in LHR would be a nusiance, but not a disaster (on this occasion only, normally I would seek to avoid that risk).

I try now to take as late a TATL flight as possible so I am really tired and can go to sleep quickly (usually before pushback) with good headphones and eyemask. I then make some use of the first shorter retun day on 6 hours of sleep and crash and burn at bedtime. I then wake up on day 2 fresh and back in the UK timezone.

So I have usually gone for the later ORD-LHR flights (BA or AA), especially when the AA55 ORD-MAN was at 21:50 from ORD and now the AA734 PHL-MAN 21:00 which also has PE.
Yes, my normal practice home from the east coast is to fly back to ORD (or similar) to connect to a longer flight (proper sleep) home, but this time the timings, as constrained by my meetings, just don't work.

If your Dublin I class fare has creative routing opportunities could you travel via the AA734 PHL-MAN as an option with onward travel to Dublin say....... significantly later
The DUB fare does price out OK with a long (month+) connection in LHR, which would mean I'd pop home in the meantime ... but I need to moderate the number of times I use an odd routing for expenses (we are allowed to, but not too often or too odd), and I have a much more deserving case coming up a month later.