FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BOS day flight vs night flight to UK
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:02 am
Baracus

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by manord
Normally I don't suffer from jetlag at all (lucky!) but I also normally avoid flying home from anywhere eastwards of ORD (so that I can get a full sleep). The BOS-LHR overnight might not give me jetlag, but I do like my full sleep, and so that quick flight will leave me short of sleep and maybe a tad grumpy.

There is also UUA availability for WTP to CW on the day flight, but I might not take the UUA anyway as the flight is arguably too short to be worth the Avios (not that I'm short of them).

On this occasion, I can write off the Thursday anyway - i.e., no need to work, etc. - although clearly there is a difference between landing in MAN at lunchtime (if connecting from the overnight) and landing at 10pm (if from the daytime flight).

But once I consider writing off the Thursday, there is also an interesting I fare CW option to DUB for about the same price as the WTP to MAN. I'd have to get myself home from DUB, and I've have to explain why on my expenses, but that looks tempting.
I do a lot of East Coast to MAN in Y or W and have usually avoided the day flights because of the lack of connections to MAN. As Blueboys999 has pointed out the problem with this flight is you can easily miss-connect to the LHR-MAN if it is delayed which gets you a second night in a hotel, this time at LHR.

I try now to take as late a TATL flight as possible so I am really tired and can go to sleep quickly (usually before pushback) with good headphones and eyemask. I then make some use of the first shorter retun day on 6 hours of sleep and crash and burn at bedtime. I then wake up on day 2 fresh and back in the UK timezone.

So I have usually gone for the later ORD-LHR flights (BA or AA), especially when the AA55 ORD-MAN was at 21:50 from ORD and now the AA734 PHL-MAN 21:00 which also has PE.

If your Dublin I class fare has creative routing opportunities could you travel via the AA734 PHL-MAN as an option with onward travel to Dublin say....... significantly later

Last edited by Baracus; Mar 8, 2018 at 5:08 am Reason: Spellink