FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Week in India: Mumbai, Amritsar, Agra/Taj Mahal, Jaipur and Delhi | CX and EY J
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:34 pm
ChiefNWA

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Mumbai. Sunrise Photoshoot and Flight to Amritsar

Customs and immigrations in Mumbai were crazy. Even though I had a business class boarding pass, they only had one queue open for E-visa holders. Only two officials were working the line of 200+ people and people were having serious trouble with getting their fingerprints scanned. Even though we landed early (around 11:45PM), it was close to 2:00AM before I finally exited the airport. I met up with my co-worker who had flown in the day before and a few people from our Mumbai office. They drove us back to the hotel (which was near the airport). The original plan was some of our co-workers from the local office were going to pick us up for sunrise and show us around Mumbai since we had a flight to Amritsar at 1:00PM the next day. We continued with that plan but that meant we only got 45 minutes of sleep. Oh well.

We got picked up around 5:15AM and were taken to the nearest metro station. We wanted to ride on a local train at some point and Sunday morning seemed like the best time when hauling around camera gear. Tickets were only 10 rupees a piece ($0.15) for the ~ 20 minute ride.

Hanging out of the train en route. Doors aren’t used.

We got off at the end of the line, Churchgate. Mural of Mahatma Gandhi near the station.

We hopped in a taxi to our next stop…

…which was the Gateway of India.

Sunrise.

Sunrise through the gate.

Gateway of India.

Gateway of India.

“Mumbai”

Harbor.

The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel is a 5 star luxury hotel in Mumbai. It was also a victim of the 2008 Mumbai attacks which unfortunately killed 31 people in and around the hotel.

The next stop was Marine Drive. We weren’t here very long but we got some good pictures and just hung out for a bit.

Marine Drive. Just look at those pasty white legs.

Mumbai skyline.

We then visited the Siddhivinayak Temple, however, photography wasn’t allowed. Next up was lunch. Started with Missal Pac, a popular Maharashtrian breakfast dish.

A cheese and onion Uttapam.

We also got some Mysore Masala Dosa.

Statue of the Hindu God, Krishna in the restaurant.

We bid farewell to some of the people we met up with from the office and after only a few hours of sightseeing around Mumbai, we headed to the airport.

Mumbai airport.

We booked a flight on Vistara to Amritsar for only $50, which included a checked bag and a seat, so not a bad deal.

Departing Mumbai.

Landing in Amritsar.

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Jan 7, 2020 at 4:27 pm