FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:12 am
layz
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by bren586
I am currently being tempted to move my contract role into a permanent role and the sticking point is travel. I want it in my contract. I would get it if I was the grade above. It applies to hire cars as well. I do not do well in a compact car.

I am 6 foot 5 and my shoulders are 24 inches across. Y just does not work for me.

There is an exception policy (for health and so on) but it is a one time thing. When I went to Brazil I applied and got it but then there was an India trip and I had to apply again and it did not come through in time. My comment at the time was that I have not got shorter.

What is swaying them is that I do all my personal travel in Club World/Europe (40+ short haul and 1-3 long haul returns a year (I live in another country from that of my employment). Also my contract of employment with my own company has J as standard for travel.

Y was fine when the people making the decision about what class you fly were flying Y. Now it is uncomfortable and probably unhealthy. I am 53 years old and have a crush injury in my spine. Nope, it is not a thing I am willing to give up on.

If you choose to spend a small sum of money to fly on holiday then that is your call. If work wants you to go some where then they have a duty of care and regular flying should be in comfort, not discomfort.
Not having control of travel booking is actually one of the things I don't like about a permanent job. Fortunately I do very little travel for work but would probably move on if I had to travel economy (or standard on long distance trains) everywhere. As a contractor you control your own budget, if you're happy with economy then that's more cash for you. If you're happy with a Travelodge or cheap B&B then fine but if you want a 4-5* hotel then that's fair enough too. When I was a contractor my policy was to travel the same way as I would do for leisure travel and if I was in control of others travel budget I'd not expect them to have to compromise either.

My personal (as in what I do for leisure travel) is J or above longhaul (with ex-EU if needed) and J when reasonably priced on shorthaul (as mentioned in another thread I'd even POUG on a short flight like LHR-LUX). For trains I'd never pay first class on trains that don't have a better on-board service in first class (e.g. most London commuter franchises) but do use first class wherever the price is decent on InterCity services, even the 70 minutes trip from London to Grantham on Virgin EC can get you a complimentary two course meal on the 18:33 service on weekdays. London to Newcastle or beyond would always be first class on the train.