FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DONE with SPG/Marriott
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:06 am
wbl-mn-flyer

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Originally Posted by tb21nym
I have been a Platinum member with SPG for three years. I stayed over 100 nights this last year between Starwood and Marriott. I was just demoted to Gold in both programs because I barely missed the threshold in each program. They conducted exactly zero due diligence to see I had stayed over 100 nights between the two and are unwilling to "make an exception". They even had the balls to offer me a "Platinum Challenge". Has anyone else had this experience? I called Hyatt today and they will honor my Platinum status Day 1. I am switching programs this week and closing my Marriott CC account. I am absolutely appalled and certainly hope you all realize what you're dealing with here. Only a matter of time before they treat you all the same way.

Why would you close your Marriott CC account? It is one of the few cards available which offers PRIMARY rental car coverage. Whatever you feel about their hotels and their program, this is a valuable tool to have in your travel kit.

For some reason, the card does not show up on the following list, but I include it for the sake of completeness. It offers a decent explanation of what the difference is between primary and secondary coverage, and what you get and do not get when using a card that does have the primary coverage benefit.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cards...ntal-coverage/