FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:13 am
luke5111

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
That one tweet seems to imply that bonuses were and I suppose now still will be automatic. Automatic bonuses are basically worthless in terms of encouraging good performance because they just end up being considered to be a part of people's salaries i.e. something people feel entitled to regardless of their personal performance. That sense of entitlement certainly came through in a few of the more outraged posts about it.

UA might keep hiring the wrong CEOs, but maybe it's because trying to manage a company with an entrenched union workforce full of 40+ employees that will place their personal benefits and perks above anything else is like trying to catch a greased up pig.
I agree up to a point but in an organization like UA you can't have an environment where 'most of you suck but the lucky ones will get something big but they may not actually want it". (like a luxury car with a big tax bill). However, this should have been presented as "you will all get your bonuses but there are a few folks that have been nominated by customers and staff that are in line to get life changing bonuses". Not much money to UA but something that might push a few people to go above and beyond. Although, they probably already do go above and beyond every day. Yes, find a way of recognizing them and you have a real incentive. That could have made for some really good press and some really good PR for the employees. Am sure somebody already mentioned this in prior threads but I was too tired from reading the negative ones that didn't bother to offer alternatives that were bettee

And, by the way, if you're going to offer a car or something, make sure it includes an additional amount to cover the extra taxes so that the car is not a burden.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 6, 2018 at 12:17 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member