FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fog on the morning of 10 Feb
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 pm
skywardhunter

Programs: Skywards Gold
Opening up an aircraft and finding a bag can be quite difficult, there are potentially over a thousand bags on the plane, and the computer systems would only know which "bin" the bag is in, which could easily hold 30-40 bags, if not more, with the label needing to be manually checked. Given the size of the aircraft one would require equipment, which may have already been moved away. It's frustrating but 25 minutes is plausible, albeit on the higher end of the spectrum for finding a bag. There may also have been other paperwork which took time, revised manifest, perhaps they revised the performance calculations given 150kg or so removed from the aircraft.

If your bags were lost during regular ops, it would of course be extremely frustrating, but you need to realize that DXB was dealing with hundreds of delayed flights during extreme fog which was do dense that vehicles on the ground could not move safely at high speeds. In January I flew through DXB and the fog was so dense one couldn't see the edge line of the taxiway. There was a thread recently about a pax who missed a flight because of an accident by ground vehicles, would you have preferred that, so long as the bag made it?

The bag got to MCT on an EK flight, where it was then offloaded by EK contracted ground staff and someone from EK identified it as a misconnected bag with a PIR (lost bag report), liaised with the hotel staff and got it from the aircraft/ground handling staging area to them.

I barely ever fly on the A380, <10% of my EK flights, as I'm almost always on 77W-exclusive routes, but on the 77W the channel always works. Maybe related to the A380s general lower internet bandwidth problems.