FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:38 pm
Cat Man Do

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by rickg523
I've just been working on a trip plan to the Central European and Balkan capitals using trains as the primary mode.
I find that there is still night train service between Munich (my planned entry to Europe) and Budapest or between Prague and Budapest. Fairly reasonable pricing. But definitely, per the OP, underutilized. Many departures only carry one or two sleeping cars and many travelers report that tickets are obtainable on the night of travel.
I did the PRG-BUD-PRG overnight train two years ago in late March / early April. If I recall correctly, 80 Euro to Budapest, and 40 Euro back to Prague, purchased same day. I took the second class compartment, and wound up with the room to myself both ways.

While a plane may be faster, the train was less than plane + room + transport from airport. I also was able to arrive at the train station with 15 minutes to spare, instead of 90 minutes to two hours, and saved the time of travel to the airport.

Personal opinion? I love sleeper trains when they’re economically competitive.

Amtrak? No, I’ll take a plane. Not generally price worthy, unless I’m travelling with someone else and can split the cost of the sleeper.