FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:34 pm
Track

Originally Posted by Maglev

I think it is possible that a sleeper could be added to this train after the delivery of the new cars, but that is mostly my own wishful thinking. I do not think there would be a separate sleeper for occupancy in New York before / after the train time. I heard that there was no security for the sleeping passengers at Penn Station, and this might be a major problem nowadays.
The Washington-Boston overnight train for many years under Amtrak had a sleeper for the whole route, and for several years it also had a Washington-New York sleeper, which did indeed arrive in the middle of the night and was shunted onto another track when the main train left New York. Passengers could sleep on board until 8:00 or so, and there was an attendant in the car the whole time (every sleeper and parlor car had its own attendant back then), so security was not a question. I took the New York sleeper once about 1980, and it was a pleasure.