FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA employees shocked: (qtrly performance) Bonuses replaced with lottery (on "pause")
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:44 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBord
I totally agree with the book comment. Business books are a dime a dozen, and most are fads. Bethune was a perfectly fine CEO, but he didn't have any special timeless insights. People wishing for UA to manage the business in a totally different industry environment just likely have fond memories of CO back in the day, but perhaps haven't managed at a high level within a major corporation. I'm not being critical of anyone here, you can get an idea or two from a book, but you just can't base your whole business model on it in a rapidly changing world.....
I would suggest giving it a read before dismissing it - From Good to Great is not a dime a dozen business book nor a fad, but a common-sense framework for better leadership that has been a staple in many a business school and corporation for many years. Its guiding principles would make a huge difference to everyone's experience at United - and the difference between such leaders as Jack Welch, Alan Mullaly and Herb Kelleher vs Smisek, Immelt and Whitman. Recruiting the best people, treating them well and empowering them to do good things is not rocket science, unless you really only have one customer - someone on wall street who will measure your metrics and help deliver your personal bonus.

It's obvious we have a leadership problem at United, or really a lack of leadership, and the result is obvious everywhere from our plates to our crews, especially when the person we thought would be a leader is now busy hiding under an umbrella and whose only significant public statement as of late is "de nada".