FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DONE with SPG/Marriott
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:57 am
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
If Hyatt comped you globalist status (i.e. the equivalent of Diamond status, as opposed to "explorist" or whatever the equivalent is for what used to be Platinum), you'll like it. You get full breakfast (not "continental"), the at-check-in suite upgrades have (in my experience) been very good, and of course you can't beat the confirmed-at-booking upgrades (assuming you were given them). Cash and Points redemptions can be good value and have good availability, and the free valet parking on award stays (and no resort fees on any stays) is a nice touch.

Last year with SPG's promos I accumulated 75 night credits w/ SPG. I also did 60 on the dot for Hyatt. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick Hyatt despite the limited footprint because I have good Hyatt options that fit my particular travel patterns. But keep in mind that Hyatt's lower-end properties (Hyatt Place, Hyatt House) are kind of junky, much like Four Points, Alofts, and decaying domestic Sheratons can be... some are good but some are just not.

Mainly just be clear that you're actually getting top-tier status. Platinum is top tier at Starriott, but Diamond is top at Hilton and Globalist is top at Hyatt.