FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:55 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Why not take AMTRAK more often than "every now and then"? The OP has answered his own question.
Amtrak is a terrible user experience. That's why I don't use them more often.

While not a sleeper for this particular segment, we have an ideal KC-to-Chicago train that I would use more often if the process of using it was remotely modern and user-friendly. Leaves early morning, gets you to Chicago midafternoon. Leaves Chicago midafternoon, gets you to KC late evening. 7 hours each way - faster than driving and not much slower than flying if your end destination is downtown Chicago (which ours usually is).

The problem? Both directions require extensive queuing and you cannot prebook seat assignments. My basic expectation of a train service is that I can arrive on the platform 30 seconds before the train gets there, board said train, have my ticket scanned on my phone, and take my assigned seat. That's basic 21st century table stakes. With Amtrak, there are two huge queues - one forms an hour before the train arrives up in the departure terminal an hour prior to departure, and the 2nd forms near the train to get your assigned seats. Both of these things are bad process.

Onboard, I'd like decent food and fast Wifi, two things this train also does not have. (I understand some Amtrak trains have wifi, but all seem to have food offerings firmly stuck in 1975.) However, I'd probably look past those shortcomings if the process was better. The entire value prop of a train ride is ease of use vs. flying. The TSA process, getting to the gate early, and the other hassles of airports are how a 7-hour train ride can actually compete. Amtrak seems to totally kill that advantage. Most European train systems get it right - or at least a lot closer to ideal.