FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong to Europe on the Cheap - Qatar Airways Crazy Fare
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:32 pm
hkskyline

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Would be interesting to see your thoughts on the City. I may use them in the future - plus, if possible, use the stopover programme, but need more convincing.
Doha is not a typical end destination vacation spot for travelers. Instead, it is a stopover where passengers move from one plane to another and never set foot in the city. Qatar Airways is trying to change that with a generous stopover program where passengers can rest here and enjoy the sights on their way to another corner of the world. The Qatari government is also doing its part, allowing visa-free entry for citizens of 80 countries in 2017.

This part of the world gets some scorching summers, but December temperatures are very comfortable for a walk on the Corniche. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I. M. Pei, is definitely worth a visit.

Many boats were moored in the bay this morning. I didn't expect any foreign vessels here due to the embargo, and the sea of Qatari flags confirm this.

The pearl industry historically supported this city before aviation and tourism. Hence, the waterfront is the rightful place for such a monument.

Souq Waqif is a tourist market that tends to come alive at night although the shops were already open by mid-morning.

The number of sights and calibre of attractions pales in comparison to Dubai, but it is far less crowded here and people are exceptionally friendly. I think at this point, one day is enough to see Doha. For architecture fans, the new business district over at West Bay may be worth another half day of exploration.

More photos on my website : Doha Photo Gallery