FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:50 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I’ve heard, as mentioned above, that Delta lets people slide with an extra 2 pounds on checked bags. Does UA have any official or unofficial policies on this, either as a general matter or for people with UA status? I’m UA Gold and generally travel with one (of the two allowed) checked bag that’s often near the 70-pound limit plus a small laptop bag. Thanks.
FYI, DL let’s people go over by 1 lb, IIRC, not 2. Or at least last time I heard about this. This was probably 2 years or so ago, but my recollection was I was helping parents-in-law at desk, traveling internationally who had 2 bags, one weighed in at 50.5 lbs and other at 51.5. Agent insisted they either shift stuff so that they were each 51 or she needed to charge overweight fee. Obviosuly, they made the shift. No idea what UA policy is.

IME, I was checking bag weight on mine the other day (first trip as a silver vs. gold). My bag scale at home registered it as something like 1.5 lbs lighter than the airport scale. I don’t know which was more accurate, but they’re obviously going to go by the one at the airport. So good idea if you have a scale at home to assume it’s a bit heavier than it shows at home to avoid any issues.