FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US to Auckland and Sydney airport info
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
Nugget_Oz

Originally Posted by Ashley Williams
I'm working with a self-drive tour company in New Zealand for arrangements. They will have everything finalized when I confirm what I want to do, including securing the rental cars and ferry transfer. The longest drive I think will be Rotorua to Wellington but then I have the next day off from driving anywhere far. The final few days of the tour will be spent in Queenstown before I depart for home. I'm hoping that I won't be overtaxed within my time frame...
For your drive there's the usual on the North Island, Coromandel, Taupo, Napier and Hamilton are really nice too. There are a lot of side trips in the South Island, I presume you're taking the ferry to Nelson and doing the West Coast first. If you have the time Dunedin and Invercargill get overlooked sometimes. The one thing I would say is that your driving times will be different to what you can do in North America so budget for lesser mileage a day.

On your way back just make sure they don't tag the bag all the way to DTW. Even though it is meant to come out for collection the baggage handlers do sometimes mess up

For your one night spend the Holiday Inn Old Sydney is good choice. For dinner if you can afford it maybe Aria, the restaurant called Bennelong at the Opera House or Cafe Sydney have great food and good views.