FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:26 am
jcaeih

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
You'll have 60 days to contact Amex to cancel for a full refund, once the Personal Gold annual fee posts. Would that work for your travel timing?

Otherwise, is it worth it to you to keep the card beyond those 60 days and then request for a pro-rated refund? That would be $12.50/month. However, you would need to call Amex to see if they still give pro-rated refunds, or have they followed the lead of Amex USA, and no longer give pro-rated refunds?

The Personal Plat is normally sent by courier (FedEx) so you could conceivable get the card by say Wed, upcoming. Again, no guarantees, but a good chance for it.

One more thing to nibble on...how complicated is your travel itinerary? Do you NEED to have the assurance of flight/baggage delay insurance?

Congrats on your first FT post, after being a LONG time lurker!
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like to play it safe, I should maybe keep the Gold until my trip is over (will check about the refund/pro-rating for Canada), in case there's any mis-sync'ing between the Gold-to-Plat. coverage. I didn't see much worth to keeping the Gold compared to a Plat. upgrade besides this (other than as a MR storage, since I would otherwise transfer to Aeroplan which is winding down). Good to know though that the Plat.delivery would be so prompt.

The itinerary is an open jaw flight redemption, and then by ship over Scotland/northern Norway, so the Amex insurance would be handy.

Yes, long-time lurker =)...careful reading of FT had always answered my quandries before, hopefully this question/response is useful to others too!