FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Being Delta’s Guest - SkyTeam Elite Experience
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:37 am
dz28202

Programs: Starwood Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Flying Blue Plat,Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Why in the world did you not credit all or some of these to a Sky Miles account so that you earn medallion status?

Sky Team elite (and elite+) benefits are primarily airport benefits (checked luggage, priority lines, lounges, etc). The onboard benefits are mostly about getting a decent seat in coach, not an upgrade except in rare circumstances. You can't expect to be high on an upgrade list when the company has it's own loyal customers that rightly take priority over you.

Also, it looks like you were in ATL, where Delta plats and diamonds regularly miss upgrades.

And also, what Sky Team benefits did you understand yourself to be entitled to that you did not receive?

Spot on, it was Terminal A in ATL. I agree that plenty of people were probably entitled to the upgrade ahead of me. Here's what's not making a lot of sense: The plane seats 160 people. Elite+ is effectively 46 (39 & 7) on the priority list, not including the upgrades that have already cleared. I certainly don't get Delta lounge access on Domestic flights. I ended up buying the pass and if I recall, I did not get an Elite discount.

Here's my point: rewarding loyalty is about generating future revenue. If Delta isn't showing loyalty to their partner airlines, there is very little benefit for people like me to fly to fly them domestic. In fact, it is rather inconvenient if I'm at home as longing4piedmont rightfully pointed out.