FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Speculation] Possibility of Lie-Flat Seats on Transcon Routes?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:28 pm
ptownca

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Carfield
Does anyone know if Alaska has many corporate contracts out from the West Coast, other than Seattle and Portland obviously? I wonder if they are somewhat pressured by their corporate clients about a real business class product on the premium transcontinental routes between LAX/SFO and JFK/BOS/DCA.

As a "returned" AS flyer, of course I will be happy to see Alaska introducing a sub-fleet of real first class on these premium routes. JetBlue is obviously doing well on the LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK market, given that it is rare to see $599 one way fare except on weekends and even the late night departures from East Coast is in the 600-700 range one way now. At the same time, I am not counting on it just because that is not Alaska Airlines' strength. Premium is really not what Alaska does well.

However, Alaska Airlines definitely cannot charge those outrageous $999 one way fare between LAX and JFK after they change those seats from sleeper seats to a recliner seat. They will either have to lower the price of first class significantly.

As of this point, I just want Alaska Airlines to release information about the new service on the former Virgin America planes after April 24, and what will happen to the entertainment system till they complete the reconfiguration? I am hesitant to book any long haul flights on these former Virgin America's routes for now. I actually book more JetBlue flights after April 24, till I find out the new details about the new combined service.
Having read many of your wonderful reviews on the VX forum, I think you would be horribly disappointed in the current VX/AS experience. I'm voting with my feet to go with B6 and as a NYC flyer I would do the same. The lack of maintenance/upkeep in the current VX fleet under AS management has been widely reported elsewhere here on FT. The last flight I had in F on AS was a greasy chicken dish which would not be acceptable in AF Y transcon.

While the food in VX F could be wildly loved or hated, the best VX meals were definitely a notch above Mint.

Just IMHO, but I have very very low expectations about AS led VX, now and in the future.