FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:47 pm
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jcaeih
My Personal Gold is untimely expiring just ahead of some travel I have to book soon and as I'm planning to change to personal Platinum anyways, I called the customer service to check if travel coverage afforded by purchase with Gold would voided with the switch (based on what I've gleaned here, MR transfers isn't a problem). Here's what they said:

1. If requesting upgrade from within account, the coverage of travel purchased with the Gold would continue to be valid (at the Gold level not the Platinum).
2. If obtaining the Platinum by a referral, i.e. such that the ex. Gold and Platinum would be active for a short time together and the bonus referral points applied, the rep. indicated that the coverage of travel purchased with the Gold would not be recognized.

Wanted to see if anyone has been in similar case, or received the same answers as I did from Amex (just worried it's variable depending on which rep. one speaks to). Thanks in advance!
You'll have 60 days to contact Amex to cancel for a full refund, once the Personal Gold annual fee posts. Would that work for your travel timing?

Otherwise, is it worth it to you to keep the card beyond those 60 days and then request for a pro-rated refund? That would be $12.50/month. However, you would need to call Amex to see if they still give pro-rated refunds, or have they followed the lead of Amex USA, and no longer give pro-rated refunds?

The Personal Plat is normally sent by courier (FedEx) so you could conceivable get the card by say Wed, upcoming. Again, no guarantees, but a good chance for it.

One more thing to nibble on...how complicated is your travel itinerary? Do you NEED to have the assurance of flight/baggage delay insurance?

Congrats on your first FT post, after being a LONG time lurker!