FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Q1.5 2018 promotion Morepoints
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:42 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Or the companies get selfish. People are going to try to game the system wherever they go, regardless of brand. The question becomes at what level do you draw the line and accept gamers because you want their business.

IMO Hyatt screwed themselves. Silly names aside, yes they did ramp up benefits but they failed to see that by changing the qualification rules they differ by Hilton/IHG/Marriott/SPG in one key area - coverage.

While this promo is nice, it still pales compared to the current Hilton promo where you can get up to 4K/night bonus points. This promo essentially gets most of us back to the Diamond Amenity days - however coverage is still an issue. While I travel a lot for work, I'm still very limited to places I travel that have a GH or HR of any kind. I'm not going to stay at a HP or HH where this bonus gives me peanuts vs where I can stay at a Hampton Inn and get 4K/night bonus. Or IHG, I am averaging maybe 5K/night bonus with accelerate.

I'm sure some Hyatt loyalists will tell me to go elsewhere and let them enjoy their benefits - go ahead cause I'm already doing that. Hyatt has some fantastic properties and they do a lot of things right, but promos and elite program isn't a strength for them and hence they have a lost a lot of customers such as myself.
1. The coverage thing is somewhat true - but 700 hotels doesn't make Hyatts that rare.

2. So, to clarify, you really do just chase the points from one promo to the next?? On OTM? That's fine if you do. It's just from my perspective, it's better to pool stays at whatever hotel offers the best product regardless of 20$ worth of points.