FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:28 pm
ktremor

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gwade
Just happened to me. I used to use MS, but moved everything over somewhere else to consolidate in 2016. I finally got an email this month saying that they will be closing my account in 60 days. I was kind of surprised that they didn't even offer to change to a regular Platinum card (and therefore keep a customer). I was actually going to close at renewal this year though so no loss, and I opened up a PRG to keep my rewards account active, and just got the 25,000 bonus so really not a big deal. Just curious why they would not push to keep me in a more expensive product.

Long story short...they do check, just may take a while.
I learned from a knowledgeable rep when I tried to change my MS Platinum card that 3rd party branded Platinum cards are in separate category from the traditional non branded Amex cards. With that cards like the MS Platinum cannot be downgraded to a normal Amex card. The only option with them is to close the account.