FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So - who got a free upgrade this week?
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:25 am
Cymro

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Not really the finest upgrade as it’s an old 3 class 777 but just went to check in online and have been upgraded from Y to W tomorrow on BA 2273- LGW-JFK.

Seat map showing Y2. I’m not really an expert with these things. Does that mean that BA can still sell 2 more seats in respects to the fact it’s already oversold the plane? Or is that the number of seats genuinely left on the aircraft to fill? I’m assuming the former or I wouldn’t have gotten my U/G
Seat map?

If you mean ExpertFlyer then Y2 means there are two tickets to be sold in economy as long as you pay full fare (ouch!).

Just because the cabin is oversold, it doesn't mean that the plane is. They may be willing to move people further forward again into business from premium economy (and indeed, a double op-up, while rare isn't completely out of the question). Alternatively, if all cabins are oversold then they may be counting on some people to be hung over/only really want a one way/get stuck in traffic/willing to pay a change fee and not be on the flight, or just take the view that €600 and a reroute from LHR for someone else is worth it to get that last full flex Y sale.