FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Misdirected Frustration?
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:31 am
Symmetre

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Sure we've got WS (and to a much lesser extent PD) but what's the point in flying them if they charge similar fares and have a worse OTP record than AC?
Unfortunately that's not the case at all - WS has consistently demonstrated significantly better OTP than AC, and over a long, long period. There's another current thread on this very topic, noting that AC in fact ranks dead last in OTP among North American airlines, and something like 145th out of 155 airlines worldwide. Their OTP is consistently horrible, there's just no other way to put it.

My own frustration with AC is primarily focused on the fact pretty well all of its competitors manage to deliver a better product - and in some cases a substantially better product - while charging me the same or lower air fares than AC does (since I'm self-funded for the most part, yeah that matters too). That's precisely why I went out and earned status with WS and DL, and now only fly AC when there is absolutely no other option. Over the last few years I've also flown with KE, KL, AF, LX, IB, AE ... even Icelandair has provided a measurably better travel experience than AC. Yet on many routes AC remains the only option. So yes, I'm frustrated that I sometimes have no choice but to fly on a crappy airline that could do so much better, but chooses not to.

I get it that the entire aviation industry faces cost challenges. Yet AC is the only one that's plummeted down the toilet like this. It's competitors - for the most part - manage to deliver substantially better OTP, a comparable hard product, and in pretty well every case a significantly better soft product that at least leaves me feeling like my business is actually valued.

Last edited by Symmetre; Feb 22, 2018 at 7:37 am