FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: China
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:26 pm
baroqen

Small update... My friend recently bought an apartment in HK, and was able to get 400,000 Asia Miles for his mortgage.

That's definitely awesome. I believe the best I remember seeing back home was capped at 100,000.

I also mis-spoke about the points game being terrible. Although it's still not great, I actually meant that the SIGNUP bonuses are terrible from my previous research. I can't read Chinese, but that Asia Miles Citic card is amazing is that 1 RMB = 1 Asia Mile is uncapped. Most things I've seen in the HK area however, have either had caps, FTF, or else unimpressive signup bonuses and/or earn rates compared to what I could get from home.

For instance, Citi in HK offers the Prestige card but it's both better and worse than the US version. Still, it does come with 4th night free, which makes it phenomenal for those whose travel patterns can utilize this benefit:

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...tige-card.html

Key differences: Crappy signup offer (15k miles), anniversary gift (20k miles/year) is pretty nice but seems to come at the expense of the travel credit, slightly better miles everyday earning but no bonus categories, and no guests on the Priority Pass. It also still has a golf benefit. Also, I didn't see any mention of "no FTF" so I assume they have that, which is why I don't consider the bonus on "overseas spending" to have much added value. Obviously no GE or anything else.