FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:26 pm
flyerjc23

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Location Being that it was my first time in Bangkok, I choose to stay at the Renaissance do to its central location. Many things are walkable from here or easily connected by public transportation. My flight into Bangkok arrived at around 10 pm and I decided to call an Uber for the ease of it. The trip cost just under 9 USD and took 43 minutes. For reference, I took the BTS/Airport train back to the airport and it cost nearly nothing and took about 40 minutes (the Chit Lom station is virtually connected to the hotel and the transfer at the airport station is very straight forward). Check In When we arrived at the hotel our bags were swept away to our room and we were greeted at the elite desk with a glass of coconut water infused with pandan leaf (very refreshing post-flight). I was offered to check in via the club lounge, but being that it was late, I just wanted to get on with it. As platinum members, we were not proactively offered an upgrade, and when we inquired - after a series of phone calls - we were given a room €œone class up € from our reservation. I believe our upgrade was just a higher floor. We had a choice for our local welcome amenity (one food item/person, one beverage/person) and we had the mango sticky rice for two. Amenities In addition to the welcome amenity, we were offered a 15-minute head/neck/shoulder massage each, as well as one piece of laundry/day (can be used cumulatively). Our nightly turndown service included a fun, rotating local snack (I €™m not sure if this is the standard or just for elite members). We also had full access to the concierge lounge and fitness center.The lounge serves breakfast, high-tea, and nightly canapes/cocktails (see current hours on the check-in letter). There are also both sweet and salty snacks and non-alcoholic beverage available throughout the day. The high-tea was British-style with scones and tea sandwiches. The evening reception was more focused on cocktails (served by the attentive bar staff) than it was food, but there was still plenty to nibble on. They had two sandwich varieties, three-four hot dishes, cheese, salad and three desserts. Where the breakfast was of fantastic quality, I found the evening lounge food to be just okay. The sandwiches were actually pretty good, but the hot foods were mostly fried and the cheese was pretty €œmeh €. The desserts, on the other hand, were fantastic. My favorite was an almond tart they had on our first night - delicious! I €™m not a cocktail person, but I did try a mojito which I found to be too sweet to drink (though others were drinking them just fine). The beer was Singha, which is my favorite Thai beer, and they also had a red, white and sparkling wine. Room The standard room is larger than most - especially the bathroom - and we found it to be more than adequate in size. I was worried from photos that the room might be out-of-date, but I thought that it was chic and modern. The bed was comfortable, firm, but not too firm and the sheets were excellent. My favorite part of the room was probably the extra deep soaking tub - a treat after a long day. Dining People have reported only being allowed to take their Platinum breakfast in the lounge at this hotel, but we were offered breakfast in either the lounge or restaurant at check-in and had no issues with breakfast charges on our bill at check-out (only our tip was charged). The breakfast in the lounge looked complete, but I highly recommend taking your breakfast at Flavors restaurant. It may have been the best hotel breakfast buffet we €™ve experienced. The food was not just high in quantity, but also in quality. We loved the made-to-order juice (watermelon ginger was fantastic) and noodle options. I €™m pretty sure we ate our weight in passion fruit and mangosteen. Gym The fitness center is well equipped but too small for the massive hotel. It was extremely hot on the day we went, but the view was lovely. The pool is indoor and not too crowded. The spa was nice but was overpriced for Thailand. Our complimentary massage was done in the pool area, and despite the noise, it was wonderful. Overall The Renaissance Bangkok ended up being my favorite hotel of our trip (even above the beloved Grand Hyatt Hong Kong). The service was exceptional and they made us feel special our entire stay.
Was this a fairly recent stay? Is the lounge only accessible to Platinum members or gold members too?