FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:03 pm
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
I lumped contactless and mobile payment together in my previous post. I guess what I meant by "something else" was maybe retinal scans or something that didn't require a phone or card--or possibly something involving abandoning Visa/MC altogether. Who knows?

EDIT: also Amazon Go-type stores might become more common, too, but that wouldn't necessarily mean an end to the card networks. Just every transaction effectively being card not present.

A Chevron in West Yellowstone, MT without pay at the pump seemed pretty busy, actually--despite there being other gas stations nearby with pay at the pump. I suspect that's an exception though.
I think the Card Networks are pushing mobile technology in the US so that way they can be at the "forefront" of it all, meaning they would have relevance in todays society. I really hope they succeed, as I do imagine the dream of leaving the house with nothing but my phone one day. I already have systems installed in my car to be able to start the car with my phone, I keep my car insurance and health insurance cards on my phone, My state is one of the states that is going to do the digital drivers license thing, and tribal IDs are scanned in, etc are on the phone. I am an avid user of Apple Pay, Target Wallet, Walmart Pay, CVS Pay, and going to set up my Chase Pay tomorrow to try it out. I also have Level Up for Fired Pie which is a local Phoenix thing (for now?, not sure), and I can pay with a QR code in my Apple Wallet in that app. As stated earlier I am working with Valley Metro here in Phoenix to test out the new mobile bus/train passes- I am thinking it'll be QR Code based.

Aaannnd I feel with all of this I am only 80% of the way there. The remaining 20% are those pesky swipe only stores, LOL. Maybe I WOULD benefit with a Samsung phone for Samsung Pay, but I am too well engrained in the Apple eco-system and definitely don't want to spend the money repurchasing all of my stuff, as I am an avid user of Apple HomeKit as well!