FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:09 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I think the “something else” is mobile phone based which the US is at least trying. Now that Shell just enabled contactless literally right out of the blue when they didn’t have to shoes some hope. I live on the reservation and I always chat up the cashiers of the local Shell station, they always said before “people always tried to tap their phones before and it didn’t work” - well now it does! And this is on a Indian reservation! If people are demanding it this much on a reservation- surely people are demanding it in cities, and the “city” is Phoenix and I see the same reactions, people demanding it. Enough for these guys to enable it. My “Reckers and Sally’s” burger job we are working on will have contactless enabled, because of demand! Erin is 25 years older than I am and uses contactless daily!! Valley Metro, the bus and train system for Phoenix is doing a mobile pay app because people are demanding to pay with their phones. Probably won’t be contactless because of the fare machine vendor but something! I’m doing a beta volunteer test on their app so I’m excited for that too!
I lumped contactless and mobile payment together in my previous post. I guess what I meant by "something else" was maybe retinal scans or something that didn't require a phone or card--or possibly something involving abandoning Visa/MC altogether. Who knows?

EDIT: also Amazon Go-type stores might become more common, too, but that wouldn't necessarily mean an end to the card networks. Just every transaction effectively being card not present.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Absolutely... I think Americans just wouldn't get fuel somewhere without pay at the pump :P But I'm referring to stations that *do* have pay at the pump... I don't think I've ever seen a contactless reader outside the US on a pump.
A Chevron in West Yellowstone, MT without pay at the pump seemed pretty busy, actually--despite there being other gas stations nearby with pay at the pump. I suspect that's an exception though.