FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying up to W to take advantage of available GPU
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:14 pm
AceReport

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by david_oz

What if I attempted to make the change after arriving in Tokyo? Would I still face the same issue with fare construction, or are all bets off at that stage?

my ideal scenario would be to attempt a SDC immediately after arriving at NRT so we can get a couple of extra hours in Tokyo and store our luggage at NRT, then call again to try to get the W fare and upgrade to new Polaris on the NRT-SFO route. I know the odds are low, but I’ll give it a shot
Originally Posted by jsloan
I believe it's possible, in the strictest definition of the word. I think a determined agent could get the record updated to show either an earlier fare break or -- what I was actually thinking -- to update the flown leg retroactively to W and price the thing. Keep in mind, SHARES does very little validation on its own -- it basically trusts the user to know the rules. But I agree that it's unrealistic, and that the three options you have listed here are the ones to plan for. Of the three, only the last could be done after departing SIN, and it would require R space that's currently available and a US$600 co-pay per person. There's also #4 , attempt to buy a TOD/HOD upgrade after check-in, but this probably won't be an option until the SIN-NRT coupon is lifted, as opposed to at T-24.

As a data point I was one time able to refare from T to W on a 1/2 RT TATL with no change fee. It took the agent a very long minute to work it out. By the time my friend applied the GPU (2days later) it had gone from R2 to R0