FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:45 pm
RedLight2015

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Cash back at a store. If/when EMV contactless becomes more common, those credit/debit prompts will possibly go away as stores will just run every contactless transaction as "credit". (Otherwise, people will have to enter PINs for mobile wallet purchases as well as using whatever biometric authentication's required, which is a UX nightmare IMO.)

Also, you're assuming that the rest of the world will move on to something else by the time we adopt contactless. While that may be true, it's also possible that contactless payment ends up being the "standard" for quite a long time. Or even that the "something else" is something we're already doing, namely switching away from in-person shopping to online shopping.
I think the “something else” is mobile phone based which the US is at least trying. Now that Shell just enabled contactless literally right out of the blue when they didn’t have to shoes some hope. I live on the reservation and I always chat up the cashiers of the local Shell station, they always said before “people always tried to tap their phones before and it didn’t work” - well now it does! And this is on a Indian reservation! If people are demanding it this much on a reservation- surely people are demanding it in cities, and the “city” is Phoenix and I see the same reactions, people demanding it. Enough for these guys to enable it. My “Reckers and Sally’s” burger job we are working on will have contactless enabled, because of demand! Erin is 25 years older than I am and uses contactless daily!! Valley Metro, the bus and train system for Phoenix is doing a mobile pay app because people are demanding to pay with their phones. Probably won’t be contactless because of the fare machine vendor but something! I’m doing a beta volunteer test on their app so I’m excited for that too!

Last edited by RedLight2015; Feb 20, 2018 at 4:51 pm