FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:59 pm
AllieKat

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not really sure what you're talking about.

People can still pay inside if they didn't receive a contactless card, which is something I'm sure gas stations prefer anyways. I like the idea of contactless only pumps... No more card skimming and now we have up to date technology.

Overseas, this isn't a problem because the cards will work because they still have a chip and mag stripe.

If someone feels like walking inside is too much, they can request they receive a contactless card before the bank sends them one.
They can go inside anyway has always been the argument for foreign cards not working in pumps. Also, contactless capable pumps are rare - even in countries with high contactless use like the UK, pay at the pump is one of the places it often *isn't* due to added complexities.

I do think contactless support should be mandated everywhere or at least strongly incentivised, but as long as cards without it are widely issued (worldwide), all terminals should be mandated to be contactless/contact/magstripe entry.