FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ISO advice] SFO/SJC home airports: Leaving AA -> AS/VA or UA?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
pl804

@j2simpso: For some reason, I don't know why, I find it hard to get excited about using an overseas airline to hold my primary status with. Maybe it's b/c I worry I might not follow things well or that I might not be treated fairly by their US partner. Is that silly?

Last night, after reading the TPG articles @DrAlex had posted, I had booked several upcoming transcon flights on AS, but am now having buyer's remorse and thinking of canceling within the 24-hr window. I find myself spending $600-1000 per year on UA E+ seats for our family, and thought, if I center on AS, I would probably want to buy an E+ subscription, which would cost $900. And if I'm doing that anyway, is there a way I can get to Platinum on UA and not have to worry about that subscription? It seems that UA still gives EQM multiplier based on fare type, which it appears that AS doesn't do at all. I like having the flexibility of being able to spend more to qualify, vs. having to log the butt-in-seat miles with AS to re-qual. Finally, I emailed UA status match and it appears that they might let me status challenge with my AS MVP Gold. I'm not excited about Gold, but if I could find find a way to Platinum, that starts to become attractive. Of course, all of this would be solved if I were related to someone with 1K status and an open matching slot.

I have about 8 hours to figure out whether to cancel the AS flights and rebook on UA.