FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding chain hotels
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:57 am
dulciusexasperis
Suspended

LOL, straw man arguments are rife EuropeanPete. For example, and there are plenty to choose from, here are 2 from the post just 2 before your own.

"So there is one nice independent hotel in Switzerland." refuted then by examples of many not so nice hotels (presumably in Switzerland). Where did I ever suggest that if you wanted nice hotel's, you should go independent vs. chain? Answer, nowhere did I suggest that. And we don't have to even touch on the hyperbole of saying there is 'one'.

"ina bunch of great but expensive "boutique" hotels, I came to the realization that for the same price, I was giving up a million points a year, which would cover all my family holidays. How stupid had I been to pass all that up." Where did I ever suggest staying in more expensive hotels? Yet someone wants to 'refute' that with 'I could pay the same and collect points as well'. I would suggest looking for more interesting independent hotels if they are available and paying less than for the chain hotels. The two examples in the photos I linked of the 'one nice independent hotel in Switzerland' vs. the Hilton chain hotel, are an example of just that. The independent is cheaper than the chain hotel. So getting points at the Hilton does not put anyone ahead when they have paid more to begin with obviously.

You say EuropeanPete, anyone who would suggest avoiding a hotel simply because it is associated with a brand is not making an intelligent decision based on travel preferences. I agree. Of course, nowhere did I suggest that anyone do that. I've stated several times that I use chain hotels in some circumstances where it makes sense for me to do so. So I'm sure you weren't trying to suggest that I personally make political, ethical, or non-intelligent decisions were you EuropeanPete.

Now what would you call someone EuropeanPete, who avoids independent hotels because they are not associated with a brand that gets them 'points'? Are they making an intelligent decision based on travel preferences? Or are they making non-intelligent decisions based on only one travel preference, points?

People very often take a position of either/or when debating an issue. I started out saying I use both when one or the other makes sense but I prefer independent when possible. However, people prefer to argue as if I had said, 'only use independents and independents are always a better choice even if they turn out to be lousy hotels'. What is that if not the biggest straw man argument of all in regards to this topic?

Last edited by dulciusexasperis; Feb 20, 2018 at 10:05 am