FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:00 am
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by flyerjc23
What would you recommend instead of taxi/uber then? I am planning these types of transportation as I am traveling with my mom who can't walk very far and doesn't like public transport
The Ren. Period. End of discussion. It is one building away from the BTS and you can access the train by using the escalators or elevators in the building next door. Even with the train's elevators being difficult to navigate it is still better than being in a car. Your mom will only need to take a taxi once and the BTS once to realize which is the better choice. While there may be some instances where you will need to take a taxi, when you can take the BTS you will save so much time and aggravation. If walking the length of one building is too much, not to be flippant, but maybe Bangkok is not a good destination. The sidewalks are uneven in many places and there isn't Western type access for the handicap in many places. The last time I took a taxi from the Khaosan Rd area to the Marquis it took over ninety minutes because the driver went way out of the way. It should be 10 km, but it was forty! If you are tourists on a first trip who don't know the area, you will wind up being talked into flat fares because the drivers won't believe you will get out of the cab if they don't turn on the meter. You will likely also be driven all over the city by drivers trying to increase the fare. Uber doesn't pickup in many places when the traffic is bad. You will want to use public transportation or go at least once by yourself, learn your way around and go back with her another time.