FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change of visa with Global Entry
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:33 pm
englisa

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
I'm unclear on why you believe that you'll encounter difficulties simply by stepping into a Global Entry office at your outbound airport to update your visa information?

USCIS has allowed a 60 day grace period for E-2 visa holders after their employment ends.

So, you're still "in status". What do you envision might happen to you during your drop-in at the GE office?

Also, are you certain that your B1/B2 visa is not already in the system? When you scan your UK passport at a Global Entry kiosk, does it give you the option of choosing which visa you wish to enter on? (A lot of CBP officers at Global Entry interviews are diligent about entering the multiple US visas a person might hold into the system, and linking them all to the Global Entry membership.)
The B1/2 is def not in the system. It’s never shown up in the kiosk, and i never saw the agent at the original interview entering those details, but i saw him check/do the work visa. It’s not listed as one of my visa travel options in the GOES/TTP site either. So i will have to register it.

On the grace period, i guess i just have a (un)healthy respect for doing things by the book re anything to do with immigration and border control. Technically the grace period is given as *discretionary* (so not guaranteed), and is to facilitate leaving the USA or facilitate a new job search. Yes, technically packing up my stuff is facilitating leaving but I’m using almost all the 60days and I’ve mostly been doing touristy things, so technically pushing the boundaries? Also not all immigration agents necessarily know about the grace period ruling change. Also seeing as I’m still here on the E2, not sure what effect going and having that removed from GE has before i leave. I can’t find anything about this, except people that have already switched visas updating their GE info (ie they changed status within the USA). So i suppose I’m just checking to see if I’m settting myself up for a lot of hassle by trying to do it before i depart.