FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ISO advice] SFO/SJC home airports: Leaving AA -> AS/VA or UA?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:12 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I've only flown VX thus far this year and I haven't been upgraded to MCS - both flights were full and I'm a lowly MVP.
I've cleared 7 of 8 on-line requests this year, all requested on the Virgin website. I've had 4 additional flights where I did not request the upgrade because it looked like I would end up with a middle seat on the return flight, so I'm particular as to which flights I make the request. Looking forward to April 25 when the Alaska upgrade rules fall into place for first class. I suspect MCS, as we know it, will just become another premium seat elites can select from, minus the free food and unlimited alcohol options, after that date.

One negative with Alaska/Virgin is that some of its routes leave SFO in the morning, which is convenient to me, but then the return flight from the east coast is between 5-6pm when I fly home. I can work with that schedule as I have plenty of time, but it might be tough for a business traveler with only one flight a day. Think of routes like SFO-BWI and SFO-MCO as examples.

As to award travel, could not be happier. I have two Qantas awards booked this year, one in business to Australia, and one in first class home from Australia with a free stopover in Sydney. AA, for comparison, does not allow a free stopover in Australia with their miles. Booked with Alaska this cost me 125,000 miles. Same trip with AA would have cost 190,000 miles. I'm finding my Alaska miles are much more valuable than my AA miles.