FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding chain hotels
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:29 am
dulciusexasperis
Suspended

Originally Posted by Low Roller

Not that I mind being considered an elitist, but it is often just easier to book a Hilton than to research a bunch of independent hotels to see which ones will give me the quality that I know I will get with that chain.
And that I think is an honest answer. which I respect Low Roller. Most people simply take the path of least resistance. In this case, do what everyone else does and the marketing tells you to do, just stick with 'easy'. Of course, sticking with 'easy' has its limitations doesn't it. It's easy to be mediocre in everything in life. How rewarding it is, is another story however.

The other factor your choice of words identifies is in, 'the quality I know I will get with that chain.' That is just another way of saying, 'low risk'. Many people often perceive risk in doing anything that strays from what the majority do.

Both 'easy' and 'low risk' combined add up to staying within our 'comfort zone'. Many people are very reluctant to as they see it, 'go outside' of their comfort zone. Other people perceive that differently, as 'growing' their comfort zone and 'growing' is always a good thing. It's all in our perception of things.

I do sometimes stay in chain hotels as I have said but never because it's 'easier' or 'low risk', only because there is no other real choice most of time, as in along US Interstates. Where there are other real choices, I prefer to look for something more interesting as in the 2 photos I included above. One nice and predictable (it's a Hilton Low Roller), the other what I hope to find when I visit the Alps. Thank goodness I don't have to spend all my life only ever staying in hotels along the US Interstates.

So I'll ask you the question I asked another poster earlier Low Roller. Which of the two hotels represented by the photos above, would you prefer to to be sitting in having a pre-dinner cocktail? The first, you can 'easily' book with Hilton. The second, you need to do a little searching for. The other poster never answered my question but maybe you will Low Roller. I live in hope.