FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Child goes crazy on flight
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:23 am
WorldLux

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
I couldn't get through more than a few seconds of the video, but for me the biggest factor in this things is whether the parents keep trying to keep the kid quiet or if they just give up and try to make themselves comfortable.
If the child in question is disabled, then these parents are likely to have this 24/7 and that probably for the rest of their lives.

Originally Posted by lighting
This thread has brought out in the worst in this forum and community.
It could be worse. Comments elsewhere have been way worse with some suggesting tasering the child, euthanasia, and simply drugging the kid to the point that it's just a mindless zombie. Without wanting to go too deep into the political, this pretty much reflects society's reaction to mental illness: Drug them and put them away. Don't want to hear, see, or interact with them. Sad, but unfortunately true in most countries...

Originally Posted by airmotive
What’s wrong with shaming a child?

For a start, the child would have to be able to understand the objective of shaming and the reason of shaming. I have serious doubt that the child in the video can understand either which makes the whole idea pretty pointless.

You could blame the parents given that more intense parenting and special needs education could go a long way in teaching the child to understand and handle its own disability but even if parents do everything right there's guarantee of success. Some children react much better to special needs education than others.

----

Here's my .02: While this was without a doubt an unpleasant flight, I have some sympathy for the child insofar that he almost certainly didn't do it intentionally (i.e. merely for the purpose of annoying everyone else). I even have sympathy for the parents. They have this 24/7 for the next decades. Mental health is a topic that is unfortunately not receiving the attention it needs and making the symptoms of a failing system go away seems to be more important to some than looking into how individuals could be helped master their disability.