FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:12 pm
Collierkr

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
On my BOS-IAH flight the other day I noticed that the middle seat (exit row) next to me was empty on the seat map. There were a handful of other E+ middles left, and a bunch of E middles, with only 5 or so people on the standby list, and 10 minutes until boarding. I asked the gate agent if there's any way he could clear the middle seat next to me last, hoping that they wouldn't need it and I could have some extra space for the 4+ hour flight. He said no problem and actually blocked the seat -- which was really nice!

About 1 hour into the flight a passenger came back from first class and switched with the guy who was in the aisle seat in my row. I was a little confused but I didn't care. But then I noticed the new guy talking to his co-worker across the aisle, and before you know it she was asking me if I could remove my things on the middle seat (headphone case, etc.) so that she could sit in the middle seat and work with her co-worker. I gave her a look that made my disappointment clear. She got the hint and then said, "Do you want my aisle seat?" -- across the aisle with the middle and window taken. I said, "No, I want nobody sitting next to me". She look surprised and snarkily said, "we'll make it quick". After about an hour of loud chatting and computer typing, she went back to her seat.

Was I in the wrong here or would y'all have done the same?
could have said “this seat was blocked because of a spilled diaper on previous flight”!