FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: service to Auckland, N. Z. / LAX-AKL as of 23 Jun 2016 (master thd)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:04 pm
Garth511

Programs: AA EXPLT DL PLT
Yeah it wasn't my first choice

Originally Posted by jordyn
Looks like service ends on March 22nd, so depending on how late in March you're talking about it may be irrelevant.

In any case, I don't see any upgrade availability the last couple of weeks in March (unsurprising), but overall business class seems a lot less sold out than in February. Unfortunately, since you can't confirm in advance if your cousin/fiance don't have status they are going to be near the bottom of the upgrade list. So I'd probably not get their hopes up too high, although my flight last year went out with open seats in business so anyone on the list would have cleared presumably.
My wife and I are doing AA SJC-LAX-AKL 15 days in NZ then Jetstar ZQN-SYD, 2 days in Sydney and then AA SYD-LAX-SJC This is due to the fact that we're not leaving NZ until the 25th and there are no flights, so a little adaptation and the bonus of a couple days in Sydney. All the AA legs are on the miles I accumulated while consulting over 5 years. I didn't see home much, but this trip is our compensation. Great to see the reviews of the 787-9 and Business class and looking forward to the whole vacation.

Props to folks in the forum that chimed in and said "You'll get there, just keep flying." 👍